- The Ancestors of the McDonalds of Somerset (excerpt from Clan Donald DNA Project), by Donald M. Schlegel, 1998
- Annals of the Four Masters, 1632-1636, translated into English from the original Irish:
- John O'Donovan, 1848-1851:
- Owen Connellan, 1845: Volume 3 (years 1171 to 1392) with extensive annotation
- Contributions to the Early History of Bryan McDonald and Family, by Frank V. McDonald, 1879
- DNA USA: A Genetic Portrait of America by Bryan Sykes, 2012.
- The Fermanagh Story (excerpt) by Rev. Peadar Livingstone, Clogher Historical Society, 1969
- The History of Enniskillen, by W. Copeland Trimble, 1919
- The History of Ireland, by Geoffrey Keating (1569-1644), translated into English from the original Irish:
- Historical Sketches of Monaghan, by Denis Carolan Rushe, 1895
- The History of the County of Monaghan, by Evelyn Philip Shirley, 1879
- A History of Monaghan for 200 Years, 1660-1860, by Denis Carolan Rushe, 1921
- Irish Families, Their Names, Arms and Origins by Edward MacLysaght (1887-1986), Irish Academic press, 1957. Revised or reprinted in 1972, 1978, 1985, and 1991
- Irish Names and Surnames by Rev. Patrick Woulfe, Dublin,1923. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co. in 1967, 1969, 1993
- Irish Pedigrees; or, the Origin and Stem of the Irish Nation, by John O'Hart
- Kegley's Virginia Frontier, by F. B. Kegley, Southwest Virginia Historical Society, 1938
- The Maguires of Fermanagh, by Patrick Stephen Dinneen, 1917
- Medieval Gaelic Sources, by Katharine Simms, Four Courts Press, 2009
- The Monaghan Story by Rev. Peadar Livingstone, Clogher Historical Society, 1980
- Saxons, Vikings, and Celts by Bryan Sykes, 2006. UK edition titled Blood of the Isles
- The Scots, A Genetic Journey by Alistair Moffat and James F. Wilson, 2011.
- A Social History of Ancient Ireland by Patrick Weston Joyce, 1903: Volume I and Volume II
- Some Account of the Territory or Dominion of Farney, in the Province and Earldom of Ulster, by Evelyn Philip Shirley, 1845
- Special Report on Surnames in Ireland, by Sir Robert Edwin Matheson, 1909.
- The Story of the Irish Race: A Popular History of Ireland, by Seumas MacManus, 1921.
- Surnames, DNA, & Family History, by George Redmonds, Turi King, and David Hey, Oxford University Press, 2011
- The Surnames of Ireland by Edward MacLysaght (1887-1986), Barnes & Noble, Inc., 1969
- Varieties and Synonymes of Surnames and Christian Names in Ireland, by Sir Robert Edwin Matheson, 1890.
- The Clougher Record, "Families of Medieval Clones," by S. Ó Dufaigh (Rev. Joseph Duffy, Bishop of Clogher 1979-2010), Volume II, No. 2, 1959, pp. 385-414
- The Clogher Record, "The Origin of the Three Collas and the Fall of Emain," by Donald M. Schlegel, Volume XVI, No. 2, 1998, pp. 159-181
- The Clogher Record, "Reweaving the Tapestry of Ancient Ulster," by Donald M. Schlegel, Volume XVII, No. 3, 2002, pp. 689-749
- Duffy's Hibernian Magazine, "The Maguires of Fermanagh," by John Donovan, Volume 2, No. 10, April 1861